Coaley Page Banner

Coaley Mills

There are three known mill sites in Coaley.

Coaley Mill   [SO 76070247]

A mill appears to have operated here, in some form, from at least 1674 (when it was a corn mill) until 1944. At one time it was a cloth mill and from 1744 to 1944 is was a spade and shovel works. A history of the mill (Coaley Mill - Corn, Cloth and Ironworks) by Ray Wilson was published in the Gloucestershire Society for Industrial Archaeology Journal for 1996 (pp. 42-50) and may be downloaded here (300 kB PDF).

A 52 page catalogue of extensive range of spades and shovels offered by the firm in the first half of the 20th century may be downloaded here (2.3 MB PDF).

Mill at Field Farm   [SO 768380112]

Little remains of this small mill which was used to grind animal feed. A short note and sketches by John Bosworth (who was brought up at Field Farm) were published in the Gloucestershire Society for Industrial Archaeology Journal for 1998 (pp.32-33) under the title, The Mill At Field Farm, Coaley, and may be downloaded here (200 kB PDF).

Mooracre Mill   [SO 78109986]

Scant documentary evidence suggests James Dauncey had a mortgage on this mill in about 1824. The site is shown as Mooracre Mill on the first edition 1-inch map and shown using a mill wheel symbol on the Bryant and Greenwood maps of 1824. A few blocks of masonry are the only possible remains visible today

photo

Coaley Mill in 1997