Coaley Page Banner

Gloucestershire Population Tables 1801-1901

Footnotes

Page 175    note 1

Ancient County - The county as defined by 7 & 8 Vic. c. 61, which altered Gloucestershire to the following extent :- (1) Added to Gloucestershire, Kingswood and Poulton parishes (from Wilts), parts of Iccomb ancient parish viz. Church Iccomb township, and Overbury ancient parish, viz, the hamlets of Little Washbourne and Alstone (from Worcestershire); (2) severed from Gloucestershire, Widford and Shenington ancient parishes (to Oxfordshire) Little Compton and Sutton-under-Brailes ancient parishes (to Warwickshire). Minty ancient parish (to Wiltshire) and part of Lea ancient parish, viz. Lea Lower (to Herefordshire). In addition to these changes part of Broughton Poggs ancient parish, viz. Great Lemhill Farm, and part of Great Barrington ancient parish were also added to Gloucestershire by the same statute, from Oxfordshire and Berkshire respectively; these areas, however, had always been returned with Gloucestershire. The area is taken from the 1901 Census Volume. (See also notes to Welford and Bristol.)

Page 175    note 2

Almondsbury Ancient Parish is situated (1) partly in Berkeley hundred, Lower Division; (2) partly in Langley and Swinehead hundred, Lower Division; and (3) partly in Thornbury hundred, Lower Division. The limits of the Tythings were ill-defined, and the area and entire population (1881-1901) are entered In Berkeley hundred, Lower Division.

Page 175    note 3

Henbury Ancient Parish is situated (1) partly In Berkeley hundred, Lower Division, and (2) partly in Henbury hundred, Lower and Upper Divisions. The whole parish-area and population (1881-1901) - except the areas and populations of Aust, and Northwick with Redwick chapelries, is shown as Henbury Tything.

Page 175    note 4

Berkeley Tything included, in 1871, a number of workmen engaged in constructing Sharpness Docks.

Page 175    note 5

Hamfallow. - The increase in 1871 is ascribed to the presence of men engaged in constructing a new canal and some docks.

Page 175    note 6

Kingswood included, in 1841, eighty labourers employed on the Great Western Railway.

Page 176    note 1

Rudford Ancient Parish is situated (1) partly in Botloe hundred, and (2) partly in Dudstone and King's Barton hundred, Lower Division. The entire area is entered in Botloe hundred.

Page 176    note 2

Bisley Ancient Parish is situated (1) partly in Bradley hundred, and (2) partly in Brightwells Barrow hundred.

Page 176    note 3

Hampnett. - The increase of population in 1831 is ascribed to the prisoners in the gaol being included.

Page 176    note 4

Shipton Oliffe and Shipton Sollars were united for civil purposes, as Shipton, by the Act 34 & 35 Vic. c. 61.

Page 177    note 1

Abinghall included, in 1821, an extra-parochial district bordering on the Forest of Dean.

Page 177    note 2

English Bicknor includes the area and the population (1851-1901) of two formerly extra-parochial places. viz. Mailscot, and a place near New Weir, which were added to it under the Act 5 & 6 Vic. c. 48 (see also Forest of Dean).

Page 177    note 3

Forest of Dean was extra-parochial up till its division into two townships by the Act 5 & 6 Vic. c. 48.

Page 177    note 4

East Dean Township includes the area and the population (1861-1901) of Causeway, Little Dean Hill, Hinders Lane, Mousel Lane, and South Whites (or Whitehall), which were all reputed to be extra-parochial in 1861.

Page 177    note 5

Little Dean included, in 1821, an adjoining extra-parochial place containing 123 persons.

Page 177    note 6

See note (2), p. 176.

Page 177    note 7

Fairford - The removal of the pauper inmates of the asylum to the county asylum is given as the main cause of the decline in population in 1861.

Page 177    note 8

Lechlade includes Great Lemhill Farm, 1801-1901 (see note to Ancient County).

Page 178    note 1

Dunstisbourne Abbots Ancient Parish is (1) partly in Crowthorne and Minty hundred, and (2) partly in Rapsgate hundred. The entire area and population (1801, and 1881-1901) are entered in Crowthorne and Minty hundred.

Page 178    note 2

Elmstone Hardwicke Ancient Parish is situated (1) partly in Deerhurst hundred, Lower Division, and (2) partly in Westminster hundred. Lower Division.

Page 178    note 3

Welford Ancient Parish. - The remainder is in Warwickshire (Barlichway hundred, Stratford Division). The entire population in 1801 is entered here.

Page 179    note 1

Churcham Ancient Parish is situated (1) partly in Dudstone and King's Barton hundred, Lower Division, and (2) partly in Westbury hundred.

Page 179    note 2

See note (1), p. 176.

Page 179    note 3

South Hamlet. - The area is included with that of Hempsted.

Page 179    note 4

Quedgeley Ancient Parish is situated (1) partly in Dudstone and King's Barton hundred. Middle Division, and (2) partly in Whitstone hundred, Upper Division. The entire area and population (1881-1901) is entered in Whitstone hundred. Upper Division.

Page 179    note 5

St. Mary-de-Lode Ancient Parish is situated (1) partly in Dudstone and King's Barton hundred, Middle Division;.(2) partly in Dudstone and King's Barton hundred, Upper Division; and (3) partly in the city of Gloucester.

Page 179    note 6

St. Michael Ancient Parish is situated (1) partly in Dudstone and Kings Barton hundred, Middle Division, and (2), partly in the city of Gloucester.

Page 180    note 1

St. Catherine Ancient Parish is situated in (1) Dudstone and King's Barton hundred, Middle Division (where none is shown); (2) Dudstone and King's Barton hundred, Upper Division; and (3) the city of Gloucester.

Page 180    note 2

The population of Longford St. Mary is included with that of Longford St. Catherine in 1811.

Page 180    note 3

See note (5), p 179.

Page 180    note 4

The areas of North Hamlet and Wotton Vill are included with that for the part of St. Mary-dc-Lode Ancient Parish in Dudstone and King's Barton hundred, Upper Division.

Page 180    note 5

Wotton Hamlet includes (1861-1901) Wotton Hill, formerly extra-parochial, which was added to it under the Act 20 Vic. c. 19.

Page 180    note 6

Old Sodbury. -The increase of population in 1901 is mainly due to the presence of a large number of workmen engaged in constructing a railway tunnel.

Page 180    note 7

Wickwar. - The increase of population in 1841 is ascribed to the employment of labourers on the railway.

Page 181    note 1

See note (3), p. 175.

Page 181    note 2

Westbury-upon-Trym Tything includes Stoke Bishop Tything 1881-1901. Stoke Bishop Tything is said (1841) to be partly in the county of the city of Bristol; it is, however, entirely entered in Henbury hundred, Lower Division. The 1811 population of Stoke Bishop is an estimate.

Page 181    note 3

Shirehampton. - The increase of population in 1871 is chiefly owing to the temporary presence of labourers employed in constructing new docks at the mouth of the Avon.

Page 181    note 4

Tytherington Ancient Parish is situated (1) partly in Henbury hundred, Upper Division, and (2) partly in Thornbury hundred, Lower Division. The entire area and population (1861-1901) are shown in Thornbury hundred. Lower Division. The increase of population in 1871 is attributed to the presence of labourers employed in constructing a railway.

Page 181    note 5

Overbury Ancient Parish is situated (1) partly in Kiftsgate hundred, Lower Division; (2) partly in Kiftsgate hundred, Upper Division; and (3) partly in Oswaldslow hundred, Middle Division (Worcestershire). The entire area (in Gloucestershire) is shown in Kiftsgate hundred, Upper Division.

Page 182    note 1

Twyning and Tewkesbury. - There seems to have been some doubt as to the exact boundaries of these parishes with regard to each other, 1801-31.

Page 182    note 2

Chipping Campden includes 265 persons employed on railway works in 1851.

Page 182    note 3

Ilmington. Ancient Parish,. - The remainder is in Kington hundred (Warwickshire).

Page 182    note 4

Mickleton with Clopton includes sixty-seven labourers engaged in railway construction in 1851.

Page 182    note 5

See note (5), p. 181.

Page 182    note 6

Weston-upon-Avon Ancient Parish. - The remainder is in Alcester Division of Barlichway hundred (Warwickshire).

Page 183    note 1

See note (2), p. 175.

Page 183    note 2

Alveston Ancient Parish is partly in Langley and Swinehead hundred, Upper Division, but It is entirely entered in the Lower Division of the same hundred.

Page 183    note 3

Rockhampton Ancient Parish is partly in Berkeley hundred, Upper Division, but It is entirely shown in Langley and Swinehead hundred, Lower Division.

Page 183    note 4

Avening, Horsley. and Minchinhampton all contain part of Nailsworth chapelry. Nailsworth chapelry was however, entirely returned with Avening in 1821 and 1831. It appears to have been treated correctly at all the other censuses.

Page 183    note 5

See note (1), p. 178.

Page 184    note 1

Naunton Ancient Parish is partly in Bradley hundred, but it is entirely entered under Slaughter Division.

Page 184    note 2

Sherborne in 1831 included a considerable number of men engaged in building Lord Sherborne's mansion. The decrease in population in 1861 is attributed to the establishment of a system which permits but one family in each cottage.

Page 184    note 3

Condicote Ancient Parish is partly in Kiftsgate hundred, Upper Division, but it is entirely entered under Slaughter hundred, Upper Division.

Page 184    note 4

Boddington Ancient Parish is partly in Westminster hundred, Lower Division, but it is entirely entered under Tewkesbury hundred, Lower Division.

Page 184    note 5

Bourton-on-the-Hill Ancient Parish is situated (1) partly in Tewkesbury hundred, Upper Division and (2) partly in Westminster hundred, Upper Division. The entire area and population 1801, 1811, 1862 - 1901) are entered under Tewkesbury hundred, Upper Division.

Page 185    note 1

See note (2), p. 175.

Page 185    note 2

Iron Acton Ancient Parish is partly in Grumbalds Ash hundred, Lower Division, but it is entirely entered under Thornbury hundred, Lower Division.

Page 185    note 3

Thornbury Tything. - The increase in 1871 is attributed to the presence of labourers employed in railway construction.

Page 185    note 4

See note (4), p. 181.

Page 185    note 5

See note (1), p. 179.

Page 185    note 6

Tidenham includes in 1851 about fifty persons engaged in railway construction, and also some labourers employed on the tubular bridge across the Wye. It includes Lancaut.

Page 185    note 7

Deerhurst Ancient Parish is partly in Deerhurst hundred, Lower Division, but it is entirely entered in Westminster hundred, Lower Division.

Page 185    note 8

See note (2), p. 178.

Page 186    note 1

See note (5), p. 184.

Page 186    note 2

Stonehouse includes Haywardsfield which was formerly extra parochial.

Page 186    note 3

See note (4), p. 179.

Page 186    note 4

Part of Bristol, viz, the parishes of St. Mary Redcliff, St. Thomas, and The Temple was anciently in Somerset, but has always (1801-1901) been included in Gloucestershire.

Page 186    note 5

All Saints Parish includes St. Werburgh Parish, 1881-1901.

Page 186    note 6

St. James, St. Paul, and St. Philip and St. Jacob Parishes are partly in the county of the city of Bristol and partly in Barton Regis hundred.

The following Municipal Boroughs and Urban Districts are co-extensive at the census of 1901 with one or more places mentioned in the table:-

Municipal Borough,
or Urban District Place
 
Awre U.D. - Awre parish (Bledisloe hundred)
Cirencester U.D - Cirencester parish (Cirencester borough)
Newnham U.D - Newnham parish (Westbury hundred)
Tewkesbury M.B - Tewkesbury parish (Tewkesbury borough)

Page 187    note 1

See note (6), p. 186.

Page 187    note 2

See note (1), p. 182.

Page 187    note 3

College Precincts probably returned with the part of St. Mary-de-Lode Ancient Parish in the City 1801 - 31, and certainly so included 1881 - 1901. The part of St. Mary-de-Lode in the City also includes Pool Meadow, 1851- 1901, and probably 1801-41, which was formerly deemed extra-parochial. Pool Meadow became a civil parish under the Act 20 Vic C. 19.

Page 187    note 4

See note (1), p. 180.

Page 187    note 5

See note (5), p. 179.

Page 187    note 6

See note (6), p. 179.